Yep, you heard that right – HEALTHY waffles. Now I know what you’re thinking, “healthy” and “delicious breakfast food” don’t usually go together. But this recipe will make you believe otherwise. These waffles are full of protein and fiber, and taste as good as the real deal. The inspiration came from this recipe by Heidi Powell – below, I made a few adjustments that I think added to the fluffiness and taste of the final product.
Cottage Cheese, CINNAMON and Oatmeal Waffles
Time: ~10 MINUTES + COOK TIME
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg (or chia egg substitute)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ~2/3 cup plain oats (adjust depending on size of waffle iron)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Blends oats and chia seeds in a blender until they are completely powdered and flour-like. Add in the baking soda.
- Add all wet ingredients (cottage cheese, egg, olive oil, water, almond milk) into the blender. Blend completely till the product is smooth like a batter. You may need to add more water in case your batter is too lumpy or thick.
- Pour immediately into waffle iron and cook according to your iron’s instructions.
- Once ready, top with your choice of fruit or syrup or both!